Image Map

Favorite Fall Books

Hey friends!  It's Amanda from Mrs. Pauley's Kindergarten here with you today!

Do you have any favorite books that you love to teach for fall?  I do!  And I love using them to teach a standard that is really difficult for my kindergarten kiddos.


I love using The Little Old Lady Who Was Not Afraid of Anything and There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed Some Leaves to teach the standard R.L.K.9 (With prompting and support, compare and contrast the adventures and experiences of characters in familiar stories).

My students really struggle with this standard, especially at the beginning of the year, but when I use these books to start us out the concept becomes easier to grasp.

I start by reading both books multiple times.  My students LOVE to help me read The Little Old Lady Who Was Not Afraid of Anything by saying the sounds the different items make and doing motions with them.

Then after my students are familiar with both stories we do a retelling of each story and put story cards in order.



Once we have the pictures in order, we start to compare and contrast the books.  I ask the students what they noticed was the same and different in the stories.  Then as they tell me we make a Venn Diagram with the pictures.  It is quick and easy activity and covers multiple standards.

Would you like to have some of these picture cards to do this activity with your class?  Just click here to grab them for FREE!


No comments:

Post a Comment