Image Map

Book Study: Chapter 7 - Comprehension Strategies with a Freebie!

Hi guys! It's Cori from Mrs. B's Beehive, wrapping up our book study on Jan Richardson's newest guided reading book! I read the first version of this book almost 5 years ago, and I'm happy that I purchased and read this new addition.  As has been mentioned before, I love that it is spiral bound, and can easily sit on my desk as I teach small groups.  There is so much information in this book that it can be overwhelming! Having the book beside me as I teach will help me recall and utilize all of the important steps in a guided reading lesson.


Chapter 7 is all about comprehension.  Guided reading means nothing, if the students don't understand what they are reading.  In this chapter, Jan Richardson provides 12 comprehension strategies to use with the students.  For each comprehension strategy, she provides 1-3 lesson plans on how to teach that particular strategy.  Not all lesson plans are geared toward our little people, but I would argue that they could all be modified to fit our needs.

After reading this chapter, I felt overwhelmed again.  This book is packed with so much information, that it is hard to digest!  To make the comprehension piece a little easier, (and because I'm a very visual person) I put together this comprehension sheet for us to use.  My idea, is that you can laminate it, and keep it at your desk or in your guided reading binder. When you come to the comprehension section of the lesson, you can glance at this sheet to decide which strategy you would like to use to check for understanding.  As the students become more familiar with the strategies, you can even have them choose how they would like to share their learning!



If you would like a copy of this chart you can find it in the link below:


I hope you find this helpful, and thank you for following along with us on this book study.  Use the image below to pin this to Pinterest, if you would like to come back to this series at a later time.


No comments:

Post a Comment