Image Map

How to host a successful Christmas book exchange

Hi everyone, it's Cori from Mrs. B's Beehive!  I hope you are all resting on your Christmas break, and recharging your batteries!  Today I wanted to share a fun idea that we do in my classroom every year.

Every year when we get back from Thanksgiving break, I send out this note to my parents:

I ask them each to buy an inexpensive book to share and suggest that they try looking at Walmart or Target.  I try to stress the importance of gender neutrality as well, although I've had a few years where parents don't listen (shocking I know) and bring in a super girly or very boyish book.  When that happens, my kids usually just end up trading books.

I usually buy a couple of extra little books and wrap them, because I'm afraid that someone won't bring their books at the last minute.  I've actually never had someone forget to bring a book tho!  Here is a picture of what it looks like in action.  It's super blurry because it's a couple years old, and also because they move so fast when I say ready, set, go that it's hard to capture the moment! : )


This has been a hit every year, and I hope it's something you can incorporate into your own classroom!  If you would like to download a copy of the letter I use you can click on the link below:





No comments:

Post a Comment