Image Map

Reading Groups with Classroom Volunteers

Hi everyone, it's Cori from Mrs. B's Beehive. As we continue talking about reading groups, I wanted to take a look at some resources that can assist you when planning time is short, or when a volunteer shows up to offer assistance.


At my school, the principal gets teacher aides to assist with reading groups.  We also have parent volunteers who are looking for family hours of service, or high school students that come back to help out.  Unfortunately, this doesn't happen in a consistent way in which I could teach one or two people the basics of guided reading. Because of this, I have found it extremely useful to have binders that focus on a particular skill, along with a guided reading kit ready to go.  When a volunteer shows up at my door, I pull out a binder, grab my toolkit, and put them to work!

My first binder works with letter recognition and hand writing skills.  Included in it are the following resources.



I use this one mostly for my students who are struggling with fine motor skills, and writing their letter backwards.


Next up is my letter sounds and beginning reading.  This one also contains some of the wand resources from Tara West, but most of the binder is from the following resource:


That particular resource is so full of amazing activities, that is you were to only buy one of these resources that I suggest, it should definitely be this one!


For sight words I use:



When students need work on their fluency and reading smoothly, I also use activities out of Miss DeCarbo's ELA pack and I also have:



Last, but not least is my reading comprehension binder.  In this I use:

and 

For the read and sequence, I printed them all out, cut out the bottoms, and attached velcro to the pieces so that they could be used again and again.


I store all of these binders behind my teacher desk, where they are easily accessible.


I also bought this crafting supplies bag at Hobby Lobby, and it holds all of my fun little supplies for the kids to use.


Inside, you will find the following things:
1. Toobaloos
2. Halloween witch fingers
3. Magnetic wands with magnetic chips
4. Small white boards
5. Letter Tiles
6. Dry erase markers
7. Erasers
9. Elkonin boxes

It took me a little while to set-up all of these binders and my guided reading kit, but the time was well worth it whenever a helper comes into my class.  All of these resources are pretty self explanatory, so that when I do get assistance, I can just grab a binder, grab a couple of students, and get them working quickly in a way that is fun and engaging!  If you would like a copy of my binder covers, click below.







1 comment:

  1. I love this post! You have great tools ready to go in your classroom!

    ReplyDelete